What to Wear to a Viewing? Funeral Etiquette
If you are unsure of what to wear to a viewing, it is best to ask the family of the deceased for their suggestions. In general, it is recommended that you dress modestly and somberly. Bright colors and anything flashy should be avoided. Here are some general rules when deciding what to wear to a viewing:
- Dress comfortably, but avoid clothing that is too casual or revealing.
- Wear appropriate footwear. Remember that you will likely be standing for long periods of time.
- If you are unsure about whether or not to wear jewelry, err on the side of caution and avoid wearing any.
- Make sure your clothing is clean and wrinkle-free.
- Wearing black funeral attires is considered to be a standard, but other darker colors are usually perfectly acceptable (dark gray, navy blue).
What to Wear to a Funeral Viewing? Tips for Him
When attending a funeral viewing, it is important to remember that you are there to pay your respects to the deceased and his or her mourning family. As such, your clothing should be respectful and somber. Here are some ideas for what to wear to a viewing for men:
- A black suit and tie. This is the most formal attire and is often appropriate for all types of funerals.
- A dark sports coat and slacks. This is a step down from a suit, but still quite formal.
- A dress shirt and tie with dress pants. This is a good option if you do not own a suit or sport coat.
- A collared shirt with dress pants (no tie). This is a more casual option that is still appropriate for most funeral viewings.
- A sweater and dress pants. This option is best for more intimate funerals or those taking place in the evening.
- Dark jeans, a collared shirt and dress shoes. This is the most casual option and should only be worn to very informal funerals.
As you can see, there is a wide range of clothing options that are appropriate to wear to the funeral service and for paying condolences. When in doubt, it is always best to err on the side of caution and choose something more dressy over something less formal.
Viewing and Funeral Outfit Attire Ideas for Her
When deciding what to wear to a viewing or funeral, you want to consider the formality of the event as well as the relationship you had with the deceased. Guests want to be sure to pay their respects to the family by picking appropriate clothing. Here are some ideas for what to wear to a funeral or viewing for women:
- A black dress. This is the most formal option and is appropriate for all types of funerals.
- A black skirt and blouse. This is less formal than a dress but still appropriate for most funerals.
- A black pantsuit. This is a good option if you are not comfortable in a dress or skirt.
- Dark jeans and a blazer. Wearing jeans is the most casual option and is only appropriate for casual events.
- A white blouse and black pants. This is a more formal version of the dark jeans and blazer option.
- A black sweater and pants. This is a good option if you are attending a more casual funeral or viewing.
- A black hat and veil. If you are close to the family of the deceased, you may want to wear a hat and veil in addition to your outfit.
What to Wear to a Viewing: Tips for Kids
Here are some general rules and outfit ideas when deciding what to wear to a viewing for children:
- Dress in comfortable, non-restrictive clothing.
- Wear weather-appropriate clothing. Check the forecast and dress your child accordingly.
- Avoid wearing clothes with busy patterns or graphics.
- Clothes should be neat and clean.
- If the viewing is for a close family member or friend, you may want your child to wear a special outfit in honor of the person who has passed away.
- Wearing a black color is generally appropriate for viewings, but you can also have your child wear other dark colors.
- Your child does not need to wear a tie or suit, but clothing should be nicer than everyday play clothes.
- Girls may want to wear a dress, skirt, or blouse with pants or a jumper. Boys can wear slacks with a collared shirt or a button-down shirt.
- Shoes should be closed-toe and comfortable. Avoid flip-flops and sandals.
- Some families may have a specific dress code for viewings. If this is the case, be sure to follow the guidelines.
How to Dress Appropriately When You Don’t Know the Dress Code
If you’re not sure what to wear to a viewing, it is always best to ask the family of the deceased or the funeral home for suggestions. In general, however, it’s better to dress on the more formal side than the casual side. If you’re still unsure, err on the side of caution and choose a black dress or a black suit.
- What to Wear to a Visitation: The Best Fashion Guide
- What to Wear to a Celebration of Life Ceremony: Dress Code
- Family Beach Photos – What to Wear? Here’s Everything You Should Know
- Black Family Picture Ideas: What to Wear for a Photoshoot?
- How to Wear a Kimono the Japanese Way: Rules and Instructions