How to Wear a Headscarf – General Tips
Your headscarf is a versatile accessory, so have fun with it! Here are a few general tips for how to wear a headscarf:
- Choose the right fabric. Silk and satin headscarves are great for elegant looks, while cotton is more casual.
- Pick the right size. A small scarf can be worn as a neckerchief, while a large scarf can be wrapped around your head for a turban effect.
- Experiment with different tying techniques. There are many ways to tie a headscarf, so play around until you find a look that you like.
The color of your headscarf should complement your outfit. If you’re unsure, black and white are always safe choices. Bold patterns can also be fun, as long as the rest of your outfit is relatively simple.
15 Stylish Ways to Tie and Wear a Headscarf
Now that you know the basics, let’s move on to some specific ideas for how to wear a headscarf. Some work better for casual looks, while others are more suited to formal occasions. See if any of the following 15 looks inspire you!
- Bandana: Fold your headscarf into a triangle, then tie it around your head with the point facing down. This look is perfect for days when you want to keep your hair out of your face.
- Turban: Wrap your scarf around your head, tucking in the ends. This style is elegant and easy to wear.
- Twisted turban: Place the scarf at the back of your neck with the ends in front, then cross them over each other, twisting them as you go. Tuck the ends into the scarf at the back of your head.
- Bow: Fold your headscarf into a triangle, then put it at the back of your head and tie the ends over your head in a bow. This is a retro-inspired look that’s perfect for special occasions.
- Half-up, half-down: Fold your headscarf into a triangle, then put it on your head with the point at the front. Tie the ends in a bow at the back of your head, leaving some of your hair down.
- Ponytail: Put your hair in a ponytail, then put the headscarf over your head and tie it under your ponytail. This is a great way to keep your hair out of your face on hot days.
- Babushka: Fold your headscarf into a rectangle and put it on top of your head. Pull the ends down on each side and tie them under your chin.
- Headband: For a simpler look, you can also just wear your headscarf as a headband. Fold it a few times until it’s the right width, then tie it around your head.
- Braided in: Divide your hair into three sections, then tie your folded scarf once around the middle section. Attach the two ends to the remaining two sections and braid like you normally would.
- Low bun: Fold the top quarter of the scarf down, then place it on top of your head. Secure the two ends into a knot at the base of your neck, then cross each end up and around the bun. Tie it in a knot underneath the bun and tuck in the ends.
- Shawl: Drape your scarf over your shoulders like a shawl for an elegant evening look.
- Neckerchief: Fold your headscarf into a triangle and tie it around your neck. This is a great way to add a pop of color to any outfit.
- Rosette turban: Choose a long scarf and place the center of it at the back of your head. Pull the two ends up and around your forehead, then tie them into a double knot at the top of your head. Twist one end of the headscarf and wrap it around the knot, tucking the loose end under it. Repeat with the other end.
As you can see, you can do a lot of different things with a headscarf. Some of these looks are more complicated than others, but with practice, you’ll be able to master them all. Just remember to have fun and experiment until you find a style that you love.
Do you have any other tips for how to wear a headscarf? Let us know in the comments!
- How to Wear a Hermes Scarf: 12 Stylish Ways to Complement Your Outfit
- How to Wear a Blanket Scarf – Easy Ways to Create a Stylish Look
- Fashion Tips on How to Wear a Silk Scarf
- How to Wear a Shawl Traditionally or With a Creative Spin on It
- How to Wear a Kimono the Japanese Way: Rules and Instructions